FHA Loan Calculator – Monthly Payment & Mortgage Insurance
FHA Mortgage Calculator
Total Monthly Payment
|FHA base loan amount||$0|
|FHA upfront MIP 1.75%||$0|
|FHA total loan amount||$0|
|Principal & interest||$0|
|FHA MIP 0%||$0|
How to use this FHA mortgage calculator:
- Price of Home – Enter the price of the home you want to buy. If you do not have a home in mind yet, just add in a number in the range you expect to want to buy a home for.
- Mortgage – The second field titled “mortgage”, is by default on a 30 year fixed loan schedule. This is the most common loan repayment schedule selected for FHA loans. You can change it to 20 years, 15 years, or 10 years if you want a shorter loan amortization.
- Interest Rate – The interest rate a borrower receives depends on their credit, income, and other qualifying factors. To get an actual rate quote, you will need to speak with a licensed loan officer. You can call 1-800-731-3560 to get prequalified and receive a rate quote.
- Down Payment – FHA loans require a 3.5% down payment. If you would like to put more down, add in more into the down payment field. Please note that not everyone will qualify for a 3.5% down payment, and of course, not all applicants are approved for a loan at all. The 3.5% is the amount that many FHA loan applicants will be allowed as a minimum down payment.
- Property Taxes – Add the annual taxes for the home you want to buy. To find out how much the annual property taxes are, check with the county accessor. You can also ask a real estate agent to help you find out what the exact annual property taxes are for a home you are interested in.
- Annual Insurance – The amount that the annual homeowners insurance will cost depends on the property you intend to buy, your homeowners insurance claim history (if you have owned a home before, and had to make a claim), and the specific homeowners insurance company that you select to insure your home.
- Down payment – This is the percentage that is calculated based upon the home purchase price and the down payment amount.
After summiting information into these fields, it will calculate how much the FHA mortgage payment will be based upon these numbers. The next set of data presented on the right side and shows under the total monthly payment is as follows:
- FHA base loan amount -This is the amount of your loan after subtracting your down payment from the total, but prior to adding in the FHA upfront mortgage insurance premium (UPMIP).
- FHA Upfront MIP – All FHA loans require a 1.75% upfront mortgage insurance premium to be paid. This is calculated from the base loan amount. This 1.75% is the same for any borrower and on any type of FHA loan. It does not vary from one FHA lender to another.
- FHA total loan amount – This is the combined total of your FHA base loan amount (after subtracting the down payment), along with the FHA UPMIP. You have the option to pay the FHA UPMIP amount out of pocket, or you can wrap it into the loan amount. Most decide to include it in the loan amount, so we have it automatically added on the calculator.
- Principle and interest – This is the amount of your mortgage payment before adding mortgage insurance, and property taxes, and property insurance.
- FHA MIP – This is the monthly mortgage insurance premiums required on all FHA loans. The amount depends on the type of loan, how many years the repayment schedule is (such as 15 years or 30 years), and the loan-to-value (LTV) ratio. A 15 year loan with a LTV less than 90%, the monthly MIP will be 0.45%. A 15 year loan with a LTV greater than 90%, the monthly MIP will be 0.70%. For a 30 year loan with a LTV less than 95% the monthly MIP is 0.80%. For a 30 year loan with a LTV greater than 95%, the monthly MIP is 0.85%.
- Monthly escrow – This is how much your property taxes and property insurance is after taking the annual amounts and dividing them by 12 monthly payments.